Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cairo Post 5: Memphis, Sakkara (Saqqara), Giza, Shisha Dinner, Alexandria, The Mohammed's We've Met

Again, I just want to apologize for last night. I came in from dinner and was just absolutely dead. But back to the beginning of things, I will most definitely touch on dinner later, yesterday we had a tour of sights that were relatively close to Cairo, our first stop being Memphis. Memphis was an old capital of unified Egypt so that neither Upper (Southern) or Lower (Northern) Egypt felt slighted by the King, who I believe was Menes at the time, and continued to be a capital city through 2200 B.C. There we saw our first sphinx, or sphinxis as our guide kept calling it, amongst the other artifacts that were at the site.

Our next stop yesterday was Sakkara or Saqqara where the first pyramid was built, the Step Pyramid. It was really interesting to see how the trend started and to hear that was originally because they just kept adding additional places above the foundation, like offering rooms. We were told that there are 112 pyramids standing in Egypt, out of the 139 that were known to have been made. For the original one to be standing now is something that I find quite amazing. Even a part of the original wall, its the picture of the wall that looks like it just comes from nowhere, is still standing after nearly 5000 years, truly amazing. We didn't get to go into the Step Pyramid, but we did go into one that was a short drive away. I didn't take any pictures in it because I didn't really feel like tipping the "guide" guy, but some other people did. I'll share them on my facebook profile when they put them up. Sakkara was also the place that either myself or Gravy was called Barack Obama, we're not sure, and Gravy was called Muhammed Ali. Needless to say we discovered the hawkers at sites are relentless, and sometimes funny.

After leaving Sakkara we made a stop at one of the many Carpet Schools that lined the road...this actually may have been after leaving Memphis, but I can't really remember at the moment. In any case we went, and there we saw these beautiful carpets being made by these kids that were probably 2-3 years younger than us. There was one older man making a carpet "from his mind" as the carpet school guy told us, but he was the only older gentleman that I saw. We went upstairs to see the finished products, and my goodness their work is really beautiful...albeit quite pricey.

Of course the day of sites ended yesterday with the great pyramids of Giza. Contrary to popular belief there are 9 pyramids at the site, there are just 3 really big ones that everyone knows are there. They are impressive as you think they would be. I really felt like a tiny pion standing in front of them, and even smaller when we climbed up to the entrance. We didn't go in because we have been told by numerous sources that it just isn't worth the price, but just being there and standing on it was cool enough. Of course there are other things to do at Giza, and most of the group rode camels down from this place called Panaroma, where you can take a good picture of the 3 main pyramids, down to the smaller of the 3 great pyramids.

Dinner last night was had at this nice place just around the corner and down a block from our hotel. I had this chicken dish that was covered in walnut sauce that was really good. The dessert I had was this custard thing that I didn't enjoy much. But what made the night alright was the grape shisha that we ordered. I don't remember liking the grape flavor while I was in Saudi, but in Egypt it is quite good and I think its safe to recommend across the board.

And finally to today. Today we went to Alexandria, and upon arriving, after the 3 hours drive, I felt like I was back in Jeddah again. The street we were on was wide and clean and the traffic generally obeyed the lane separation lines, something the Cairo drivers don't really do. We made a few stops on the day, the first being this palace that the Egyptian Kings used to frequent, but is now a spot for President Mubarek. The place is on the Mediterrean coast and while we were there, Emily Seidl and I decided to take the long way back to our bus over this bridge that was along the water. After making it 3/4 quarters of the way across, a wave crashed over the bridge and absolutely soaked us. I still feel salty now. We also had our first realistic Egyptian cuisine when we made a stop at this restaurant and had their fish, which was really good. We also went to an old Roman ampitheatre and experienced how the actors and speakers were able to project their voice by standing in one particular spot within the complex. Probably the most unexpectedly cool stop was the Alexandria library. It is massive and absolutely impressive. The building is in the shape of a huge circle from the outside, and on the inside the floors are situated in this staggered slope pattern that is just unlike any building, let alone library, I've ever seen. I could see myself getting a lot of work done there.

Now of course, I think a lot of people know that there are a lot of people named Muhammed in the world. In our dealings with people, we have had 4, two tour guides, and two security people. The first Muhammed tour guide from yesterday clearly knew a lot but was just a tad bit annoying in his constant talking and flirting with Lucie and Sam :). The second Muhammed tour guide, was great and we hope that we will have again. But the Muhammed's that I really want to talk about are our two security guys. They both looked like linemen, but in their interactions with people clearly were gentle giants...just with semi automatic rifles under their suit jackets. The second guy looked like Secret Service in my opinon and I think the general consensus was that he was the epitome of cool, Gravy called him Shaft.

Well tomorrow we start our classes...can't say that I am that thrilled but it is the reason that we are here.

Once again thanks for reading!

-Diggs

No comments:

Post a Comment