Sunday, August 29, 2010

I Probably Should Be Doing a Hundred Other Things But...

I feel I have neglected the blogging world for long enough, well I wouldn't exactly call it neglecting because I have been rather busy. I've been back at College since the 18th both for my campus job and my House Advisor orientation. A House Advisor performs the same duties as the Resident Assistant in other schools, but since our conversion to the House system a few years back the position went through a transformation itself. Myself and my partner Kelsey are responsible for the well being of 16 first years and 3 sophomores, so 19 total...21 if you count the fact that we probably should take care of ourselves while we're at this. 

In all honesty I'm really not worried about my sophomores, I know them and they are the least likely to be in or cause any sort of problems worth drawing attention to. My first years though, well I feel like they are my kids...in fact I keep referring to them as "my kids". A friend asked me why I feel so attached to them, and I couldn't give a good answer besides the fact that it was my job, and to be honest that is the best answer that I can come up with. If you know me you know I like to help people, and I want to see people succeed. Up until this point I tried to do that on an equal footing with those I cared about, but now I have been placed in a position of authority and its given my sense of charity a Jose Canseco dose of steroids...and I'm totally ok with that.

Now I write this post, which I think will end shortly, amidst the emptiness that is my room for this year. A privilege of my position is the chance to have a double room to myself as a single and after a year of living with my old roommate Brian in "The Place" I find myself both not knowing what to do with my newfound space and not having the energy to actually try and figure out what to do with it. My flag from New Orleans is crumpled on the second desk behind me, my tv sits in front of my extra mirror plugged into the outlet but sans a cable coaxial since the one I bought broke because it was too short and I have a suitcase of winter gear (I think) that just sits next to my fridge that really only has chip and dip in it currently. I look around and I "see" what I can do with the space but I just can't make myself get up and do it. I'm not especially worried though, passion seems to find me when I need it most.

I finish this post from my aforementioned empty room for the year as "Gold Digger" plays over the sounds of my first years bonding.

Posted via email from Diggs' Posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment