Thursday, September 30, 2010

Lazy Is As Lazy Does???

The Common Hour, in actuality the common 65 minutes scheduled for a campus wide speaker or event every thursday, discussion today was on the impotence of athletics at F&M and, by implication in my opinion, Division III schools in general. One statistic thrown out during the meeting was that the highest average GPA for an interscholastic team last year was around a 3.6 and the lowest 2.6. I was stunned! When do athletes find the time to study???

This got me thinking. I'm not doing terribly as a student but I don't have the same drive and energy for school work that I think I should have. Separately, but perhaps connected, I am one of the laziest people when it comes to physical exercise. I am allergic to gyms, I see no point in traipsing across campus to get sweaty and do laundry faster. But maybe there is a point to the whole exercising thing that I've been missing.

I remember all those Tiger Schulman karate commercials saying that their students improved their bodies and minds, and were able to focus on academics better. I've heard talk about how being on a sports team, or simply sticking to an exercise regimen, can prepare your mind for buckling down and doing work...and in fact give one the drive s/he needs to accomplish it well. If exercising is what I need to get that academic drive back, then I guess I'll never get it back :)

I'm writing this from the Alumni Sports and Fitness Center, covering football practice as the rowers row and the runners run.

Sent from my Sprint BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment