Monday, March 15, 2010

The Importance of Rail Travel

As my early morning NJ Transit local pulls into Secaucus Junction, I am reminded of the sheer importence of the rails. I just read a recent article by Vice President Biden about the importence of Amtrak, espicially to him as he famously commuted to and from Wilmington, Delaware on Amtrak everyday. I don't think anyone doubts the inportence of of Amtrak's Northeast Corridor of trains like Acela, the Metroliner, the Pennsylvanian, the Vermonter, etc...but I'm always afraid for the state of Amtrak outside these parts.

My family and I take Amtrak a lot, most frquently the Crescent which runs from New York to New Orleans, but we would always get off at Tuscaloosa, Alabama...no not to go to a Roll Tide football game, but because its the closet stop to my mother's parent's respective homwtowns. Not once have I been on a train that wasn't booked, crowded and filled with people. As a kid n my favorite thing was having a freshly made Amtrak breakfast delivered to me as we pulled into a new station the morning after leaving New York. Service was always courteous and I never had a bad meal.

When Amtrak really gets special is on the routes serviced by the double-decker fleet, which normally run west and south of Chicago, with one exception. Those trains afford you an unparalled view of this country's beauty. When I was 8, my family and I went to Seattle, a 3 day trip from New York. I will never forget the stretch of rail in Montana where there was a corn field on one side, and a field of sunflowers on the other and there was this one lone tree that served as a point of reference. To my little 8 year old self it was like being in a painting...I wish I could experience that again.

I say all that really to say this, the train is not only an amazing experience, but something that is necessary for this country. There are areas in the heartland that are only serviced by Amtrak, albeit maybe 3 or 4 times a week in one direction, but at least it runs. Yes Amtrak can be late, I've had that experience, but so can planes and buses. The difference is you have room to stretch and move around on amtrak. No waiting for the snack service to go by, or being stuck on a confining bus, or sitting in traffic twiddling your thumbs...why do that if you can go in comfort?

As we pull into North Elizabeth, I highly encourage that at some point in your life, you take a long distance trip on Amtrak, it certainly won't be something you forget. Sent from my Sprint BlackBerry

Posted via email from Diggs' Posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment