Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pandora is Broken, Inspiration from Twitter, Walking On, Facebook Question

I usually like to tackle my thoughts in order, but order is never how I can characterize my thoughts. Wow...that came out deeper than I meant it to, in any case Pandora failed me. All I wanted was some mellow music to read my Good Food assignment to. First it wouldn't open in Chrome making me switch to Internet Explorer (yuck) then it wouldn't play anything that made me want to read. I picked some mellow songs as basis too, Chicago by Sufjan Stevens, Reckoner by Radiohead, Too Much Rain by Sir Paul McCartney and One by U2...each time Pandora coughed up blanks. I was highly discouraged so I just exited out.

And then I was inspired by my fellow Prep and Lawrenceville alum, Carolina. I can't remember how we ended up meeting, I want to say it was during a Lawrenceville Alumni weekend event or something but we've been in contact ever since... especially through twitter. But what inspired me to blog this afternoon was her recent post at http://carotorres.blogspot.com/. Poor thing got caught in the rain and then had the perfect song come on to chronicle her struggles...amongst other things, I invite you to read it.

I've been meaning to write about the next subject for about a week. I was sitting in the Jazzman's Cafe here on campus last Wednesday, skipping my 11 class to write a paper for my 230, when people started milling around outside moving from place to place. I began to realize that you can really read a person's mood by how they walk. I think we all have some instinctive habit of noticing how people walk, the way they move their feet, the shift in their shoulders, the way their arms swing...or don't, and other little things that we all notice but don't realize we do. It is amazing to me how people who don't know me can easily say "oh you're a new yorker" after they see me walk. Its things like that that make me wonder how our brains work.

I was thinking about this the other day but what is the proper etiquette for wall posts on facebook when it comes to responding, should one comment or directly write back on the person's wall? This is the answer I came up with. Commenting on a wall post is what a person does when you want to chime in on someone else's wall post, so if Jim writes on John's wall, their friend Jack could comment on that. Am I alone in this thinking?

I conclude this post having written this in the 1st Floor Common Room dealing with various people passing through, like ships in the night.

Posted via web from Diggs' Posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment