Monday, March 15, 2010

Poetry, Hackers and Smart Cars...Oh My...oh and Charles Barkley too

Once again poetry has reared its head into my academic life. I signed up for a course called Good Food expecting it to enlighten my knowledge as to why I and other people consider certain foods good or bad, and to the course and the Professor's credit it has done that. What I didn't sign up for was the creative writing course that has somehow been slipped into the class and that I am getting no arts credit for whatsoever (at F&M, Creative Writing the class counts for an Arts credit which is needed to graduate.) That last point is what I have a gripe with. I already do not like studying poetry because in the end it gets people no where because a rational person cannot expect for consensus to be reached on a single poem because poems are written to elicit a variety of emotions and reactions. Furthermore, to be asked to write poetry and free writes for essentially no credit I believe is unfair...especially considering how hard the professor grades and critiques said poems. At the end of the day I just want the credit for the work I am doing.

Now to Hackers...this report that I saw on twitter gave me pause: Hackers bring down Australian government Web sites in protest of Internet censorship legislation plan http://bit.ly/bMeVO2. I realize that this affects the Australian government, but it makes me wonder, in this day and age of technological advances, could Hackers be the one's that can come out on top? I understand that the world governments essentially engage in hacking in their gathering of intel but I feel like there is a higher purpose to that, to stay ahead of the "competition". Malicious hackers could take that same principle and probably shut down the whole world with a simple line of code. Yes this is apocalyptic...but we're going through snowmegedon here in Lancaster so I feel I'm entitled. :)

Smart Cars...basically I don't like them. I think they are too short and too tall and I feel like they will either get swept up by the wind like Dorothy's house or crumple like tissue paper when hit by a truck...let alone a Prius. I expressed this view on twitter, well really I shared someone else's view by re-tweeting it, and close to an hour later I was descended upon by a Smart lover from California. Granted, the tweet that I shared had a racial tone attached to it as it was part of the "Blacks don't do that" hashtag...and really I shared it because I found it funny. Whatever the case maybe, the person who jumped on me really just wasted her time. You can't convince me that those little bugs are safe, and I will never own one...let alone ride in one...unless it was an extremely dire situation.

Last and least...Charles Barkley. Why are you in a Taco Bell commercial? Why are you still on TV? Why am I wasting time writing about you? Enough said.

I conclude this post while sitting at work hoping the snow outside hasn't piled up too bad...I'd like to get back to my room to sleep at some point. I hope this finds you in good health.

Posted via web from Diggs' Posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment